From:
Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 06:18:29 -0500
These are the instructions from the Fedora site:
"The ISOs have an md5sum embedded in them. It is strongly recommended you
verify the md5sum on any Fedora Core CDs or DVD you create using downloaded
ISO images. This will ensure that the disk was burned correctly and prevent
installation failures related to bad media. To test the checksum integrity
of the DVD/CDs, boot off the DVD or first CD, and type the following command
at the boot: prompt:"
This seems to imply that if I burn the CD correctly it will boot from at
least the first CD.
The CDs I burned are just one iso file-no details visible. I can mount the
discs using Nero drive image and see the files, but can't boot from them.
My system boots from other CDs without any problem.
To clarify my question:
What are iso images for?
How do I burn a bootable CD from an iso image using Nero or Linux? I did
manage to make a boot CD from the "boot.iso" image on the Fedora site, and I
suspect if I wasn't so ignorant I could then use the iso images to install
Fedora 3, but I got lost in this process.
The site also says I could copy  these images to the Linux HD and install
from there, but I think I'd be better off with a cd install.
Thanks.
An ISO is a disk image, you'll need to use a CD burning application to burn
the ISO to CD. Don't just copy the ISO file over to CD. You'll need to
select "Create CD from a disk image" I don't know what CD burning software
you use but most if not all support burning from an ISO image. Check the
help section of your CD burning software for more information on this. Look
under "disk image"

William Pike