From:
Anthony Garvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 09:32:14 -0400
With 50 nodes to deal with, I would purchase a LAN "toner" device as here:
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=359005

I would then go to each of the 50 nodes one by one and insert the toner
emitter into the wall jack.  I would then go to the patch panel/hub/switch
and locate the other end of the wire with the toner detector.  I would then
label each end of the wire carefully using a naming convention that would be
clearly understandable to future network managers.  For example, if the node
was located in "Smith Hall" on floor 3 in room 310 I would label each end as
SH_3_310.   I would do this for all 50 nodes.

I have a problem in my company where we have about 50 network nodes without
any labelling. I am instructed to identify the nodes in each room and also
in the server room and label it.
Question:
Is there an effective way for me to do this? I am thinking of disconnect
each individual cable in the server room and do pinging from each nodes one
by one. This is tedius jobs and can only be done on weekend.

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml