From:
Tom Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 01:48:38 -0700
Don,

Do you have Norton Anti-Virus 2002 installed on this computer? I have
had one customer with the same problem. It was caused by NAV's "Script
Blocking" and can be turned off, right in NAV, itself (suggested), or by
running msconfig and turning it off in the startup section.

   Worth a shot! Good Luck!
     Tom

Don L Elias wrote:

> I am having a similar problem that I have been trying to resolve
> myself, but without success.  I can connect to the internet but
> I cannot receive/display any pages - displayed error message
> is:
>
> >The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web
> >site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may
> >need to adjust your browser settings.
>
> I can get my Juno email so I would think that would prove that
> my modem is okay.  In fact, I switched modems (another internal)
> and the same problem occurs. On my older slower computer, I
> can have positive results so I can't believe it is my telephone line.
> When I look at my "connection window," it shows that the "Bytes
> Received" is a low number and never increases.  I have tried 2
> different ISP's with the same result.
>
> For a while I was getting an error message displayed about every
> minute that had a title bar labelled "Hidden Application"
> and the actual error messaage was Socket initalizaion failed"
> (with spelling exactly as shown) with a red X and an "OK"
> button.  I have now elimated that error message, but still cannot
> access any web pages.
>
> Any thoughts on any of this?  I am running W98SE and using a
> 56K dialup.
>
> Don Elias
>
> On Sun, 2 Jun 2002 12:25:44 -0300 Sergio Nemirovsky <[log in to unmask]>
> writes:
> > Gary:
> >
> >     Try to change the modem and see what happen...If you can,  get an
> > EXTERNAL modem to test the line....
> > or, check the modem web site for new drivers or the troubleshooting
> > section...maybe there is a "power level" register somewhere...
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Sergio
> >
> > I have a 300Mhz Pentium II Packard Bell running Windows 98 SE. Since
> about 5
> > days ago, when I try to get on the Internet the modem dials and tries
> > connect but it will not fully connect. Sometimes it gets as far as
> looking
> > for password but then it says you have been disconnected from the
> computer
> > you dialed. Most of the time it doesn't even connect. I thought
> lightning so
> > I bought another modem and installed it. It does the same thing. I
> tried it
> > in a different PCI slot and it does the same thing. When I tell it to
> dial
> > the sound coming from it is pulsating. The dial tone is no longer loud
> and
> > continuous. It sounds scratchy and when it is trying to connect the
> > connection sounds are also pulsating and scratchy.
> >
> > So far besides another modem I tried switching the phone cable from a
> > splitter to computer. I tried switching the two cables that come out of
> the
> > splitter. The splitter goes to this computer and another computer. The
> [...]

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>