From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 17:30:41 -0700
If you want to use Talkworks as a answering machine for both voice and fax
then you must either have a Voice Fax Modem installed on your local
machine... in this case your laptop... or have one installed on another
machine that is designated as the Talkworks Server.

Say you have your desktop PC set up with a Voice FAX Modem and you have
gone into Talkworks setup and designated it as your fax Server on a LAN. On
the laptop you would go into Talkworks Setup and designate the laptop as a
client pointing to the server. You could then send and receive Faxes
through the server and retrieve your voice messages from the laptop.

But If what you are really asking is how do I use my Laptop to receive
Faxes then install Talkworks but tell it NOT to install Talkworks features
... ONLY Winfax. It will notice during the install process  that you do not
have a voice modem and ask you if you want to install Talkworks anyway. At
this point say no.

Without Talkworks installed it can be set up  to only send and receive faxes.
However now that you have Talkworks installed you can probably still go
into setup and re configure your settings under <Modem> and <Receive> to
have it only work as a FAX program.

Another thing you can do is to go into Setup <Receive> and disable it as an
answering machine but check <listen on all calls for fax >. This way if
your regular answering machine picks up a call and the caller starts
sending out fax signals Winfax will intervene. This will work if your
answering machine automatically shuts off when someone picks up the phone.
If it doesn't then it will run simultaneously with Winfax and may or may
not work cleanly.

Perhaps list member Rick Lindstrom our former Winfax tech support
representative can shed additional light on this.

Mark Rode
Moderator  PCBUILD / PCSOFT

>At the moment I can not use my laptop as
>an answering machine because Talkworks Pro
>is looking for a modem with a speakerphone
>capability.
>How can I get around this seeming limitation?

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html