From:
Dennis Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 10:32:10 EDT
I would say that if the gold write to media is flaking off the top part of
the disk, that disk is probably toast. I bought a batch of cheap, non-branded
CDs, that when left in my truck the write media would crack and curl up. It
looked like an alligators skin. I was able to tape the media down on one of
them and recovered all of the information. But I had several others, that I
couldn't even get my system to read. My system would just spin up over and
over again. If it is just scratched on the bottom, which it doesn't sound
like yours is, they make several little hand crank machines that will polish
off minor and sometimes major looking scratches. I use one all the time on my
9 year olds music and computer CDs. She has yet to scratch anything to the
point that I couldn't repair it.

Dennis Noble