From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 20:15:46 -0400
Roberto Safora wrote:

> Though it might seem a silly matter, I dont really get what OEM really
> means. I know what every letter means but not the real matter.
> In a cpu comparison table a read:
>  "Thundirbird is available in slot A, OEM only"¿?
> In other article:
> "...multimedia kit, OEM¿?
> In the same table I read:
> ....system bus 100 mhz DDR...100-133mhz GTL¿?
> TIA
> Roberto Safora

Roberto:
I can help with the OEM part. It is an acronym for Original Equipment
Manufacturer. In the world of computers, an OEM could be anyone from
Dell or Compaq down to the local computer shop that builds PC's for
resale. Component manufacturers -- the guys who make the motherboards,
hard drives, CPU's, and all of the other bits and pieces that go in the
box -- are able to reduce their prices to the OEM's by leaving out the
fancy box, the instruction manual, and sometimes other stuff (see
below). A lot of stores sell these components to their customers, and
usually at pretty good prices. I buy most of my equipment that way.

My interpretation of your posting is that the Thunderbird is only
available as an OEM product; there is no retail version. If it's similar
to other motherboards that I have seen, it will include a manual, some
or all of the cables and connectors, and a disk (usually a CD-ROM) with
drivers. Likewise, the multimedia kit comes in either a plain white box
or a polyethylene bag, and probably doesn't have a lot of fancy full
color brochures, or free software. It should, however, contain a
technical manual and the essential drivers.

There is one potential pitfall, however, and that concerns the
manufacturer's warranties. They are often greatly reduced, or there may
not even be any. The OEM (read "store") takes care of any defective
goods in return for the lower price that he pays. Sometimes they do,
sometimes they don't. My own dealer does a good job of informing his
customers that the OEM stuff does not have the full manufacturer's
warranty. Not all stores do. If you are willing to assume the risk, this
can be a good way to save money. I've been fairly lucky -- well, until
last week when a two-month old CPU in my son's computer died.

Beware of the guys who sell OEM components but don't tell their
customers. Avoid them -- if they lied to you when you bought it, they
aren't going to start being honest when you have a problem.

HTH --
Carroll Grigsby

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html