From:
Christopher Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Mar 2005 07:28:27 EST
In a message dated 3/6/2005 12:39:32 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
It's time to get a new DVD burner. I would appreciate some recommendations.
One that I am considering is the Sony DRU710A (also as OEM DWD-22A).
Experience with compatibility issues in reading CDs would also be
appreciated. My current DVD burner works well, but is is slow by today's
standards, and it has issues in reading some audio CDs.

Thank you.

Peter
My personal experience is with a Memorex 16X dual format DL drive. It's
quiet, performs well, and I have found that it works well with a variety of media.
I use Ahead's Nero version 6.6 for all of the media recording which I already
owned. The drive came with a kind of proprietary version of Nero which I
didn't install. It seems to do a little better with either Sony or Memorex media at
the fastest buning speeds, but it will write to practically any media at
slower burn speeds. However, both the Lite-On SQHW-1633S and the NEC ND-3500A as
well as the Sony you are looking at are all good choices. All of these drives
use Nero except the NEC which ships with Ulead. I must be honest, I don't know
much about the media compatibilities with the other burners, but I've read
reviews of all and there's not much negative press. Mine is relatively quiet with
both the carrier and drive motors, so that may also be a consideration. (it's
also sharp looking ;-).

Chris Ryan