From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Sep 2009 09:47:57 -0500
Setting up a home network can be difficult and frustrating.  There’s a program called Network Magic that makes it easy!  I used to
use it and it worked great.  About a year ago I quit using it because I built a Windows Home Server from an old computer.  Network
Magic even does some things well - like file sharing for music and other things - that are a little clunky on WHS.  It costs about
$50, but the neat thing is that you can download a free trial version and use it to see if it’ll do what you need done.

The nice thing about Network Magic is that it is pretty easy for you to configure - the kind of problems you have now.  All you need
to do is connect your two computers with the special cable (the one with a twisted wire to connect two computer ethernet ports, a
"patch cable"), load Network Magic and go.

http://www.purenetworks.com/

If you get fed up with setting all this up, give the free trial a shot.

Dean Kukral

PS:  I think it is actually better to set it all up yourself, if you can.  The thing is that there is a frustrating learning curve
to climb...