From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 19:22:06 -0500
At 15:32 04-03-98 -0500, Doug wrote:
>However, I lost the "APK" program in a harddrive crash 6-8 weeks ago,
>and alas, no backup for that utility.  I have searched the normal
>shareware sites (TUCOWS, Download, Shareware.com, Simtel) and haven't
>been able to >find it again. Does anyone know of a site with it...?

There is a copy of version 8 at
<ftp://ftp.rlrnews.com/pub/system/APKMem32_80.zip>
There is apparently a version 9, but the copy at this site is corrupted.

Regards,
Bill

From the documentation for APK:

APK Windows Memory Compaction/Defragmentation
This utility should be placed directly in the Windows directory on your
hard disk.

It prevents excessive memory fragmentation by killing off discardable
object memory from programs as they launch in EMS/XMS (over 1mb mark)
memory. (When a program launches, it takes up more than it needs to stay
resident and the amounts of memory are not always in strict uniformly
sized segments. Plus, fragmenting those memory areas occurs most likely
in lacks of matched Malloc/Free New/Delete C and C++ calls creating the
phenomenon of "memory leaks" and like conditions such as orphan blocks
of memory).

This program reorganizes those memory pools structure in a non-fragmented
manner; It does most of this on the heap and stack in memory.  After each
process dumps its slack, it then takes all the memory like a disk defragger
does and makes it all linear/unfragmented and contiguous giving you more
free memory and memory that reads and writes much faster. Thus, the
phenomenon of apps like PhotoShop loading faster and also the ability to
run more apps at once functionally and concurrently since they find EASILY
enough memory to load and launch quickly (instead of seeing "not enough
memory exists to process your request" or something similar...).

It is object oriented and highly optimized inline Borland Delphi 3.0 code
and only 1 file distributed in a zip file. [With help file and doc file]
Alexander Peter Kowalski