From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 May 1998 08:55:04 -0400
This is not correct, I'm afraid.  Not only do I have many 486
PCI motherboards using EDO, I have two Vesa Local Bus (OLD!)
486 motherboards that will run when fast page ram and edo
are mixed in the 72 pin slots, and parity ram is in the 30 pin
slots.  What's really amazing is there are no jumpers or CMOS
bios settings to change, just plug it in and turn it on.  Some
people can really build a motherboard, I guess.  These are using
a UMC chipset and AMI BIOS, and they are garden variety Taiwan
imports.

Back to the original thread, my Pressario 633 uses generic ram
and is running our voice mail program on the cheapest ram I could find.
It's a good second life for an old 486, even if it's in a musty closet.
Tom Turak

Fred Hahnel wrote:

Please note that although generic memory will work,  you cannot use any "EDO"
type memory in a 486 computer whether it's a Compaq or not.

Thanks for your time,

Fred Hahnel
Ford Motor Company
Dearborn, MI.  48021