From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2007 11:14:17 -0800
Both the onboard video and the Radeon 8500 are similar enough to use the
onboard video since it avoids any possible problems with video card
compatibility. There is a downside as you mentioned. The onboard video
uses up to 64 MB of RAM. If you are using Windows XP with at least 512
MB of RAM, you should not notice the draw on RAM unless you are doing
memory intensive work. In which case you should have 1 GB of RAM anyway.
Your motherboard will handle up to 3 GB of RAM.

Tom Mayer

Thomas Chumley wrote:
> Hi all.  I am getting ready to replace my old MB with SOYO SY-K7VMP2 that was given to me by a friend.  The SOYO board has integrated video (S3 ProSavage8 DDR 4xAGP) that I know nothing about.  I was wondering if it would be a step up or down from the Radeon 8500-64MDDR card that I have in my old computer.  The best I can figure, the onboard video shares up to 64 mb of the system memory.  Is that correct?  Also, I can disable the onboard video if I need to, correct?
>
> Thanks!
> Tommy Chumley

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml