From:
Randy Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Mar 1998 05:52:56 -0600
>soundcard is where the probelms came about.  The card is a ESS1688 sound
>card and modem combo thing.  The sound worked fine with the old HD.  I have
>tried installing many different drivers all ment for this sound card.  I
>even rehooked up the old HD and booted, sound worked fine. So I took the
>drivers from that drive and tried installing on the new 5.2gig.  Still no
>sound.  When i remove the sound card from device manager I get two unknown
>devies on reboot.
>Jacob Barkell

Jacob,

I use the ESS1688 and the ESS1869 a lot in our units.  I have found various
conflicts with the sound cards but usually get the puppies running by doing
one or more of the following:

1. Make sure your PnP aware bios is turned on.
2. Get the latest drivers from ESS
3.  After windows recognizes the card as an unknown device, remove the
devices (usually 2 one for the card and one for the MP401) and the reboot.
Windows usually will then see the device as an ESS thing and ask you for
the drivers.

If it doesn't, then you have an IRQ conflict with something.  I have had to
designate IRQ 5 (I think) for the card.  Bottom line is that if windows
doesn't see it as a ESS device, you've more than likely got a conflict in
IRQ or possibly I/O address.

Sometimes it takes a little mucking around, but I've always gotten them to
work.

Good Luck,
Randy Ryan