Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2008 19:46:43 EDT
Ok... I have read your note  below on updating, which I thought I did this
morning....  but not sure if  it did anything or not especially since you said
you updated and are now able to  set it back on HIGH.  I tried to set it on
HIGH after I updated, but I  could not get online, and had to set it back to
Med..... so don't guess it is  working.

Now, when I went to the page  to update, just then, after reading your note,
it was set to automatic,  thinking I could update again, but when I tried to
click on that.... it  flashed a message so fast I couldn't read it, so I took
it off automatic and  selected manual, and encountered the same thing.  After a
jillion tries, I  finally captured a pic of what it said...."Please wait.....
attempting to  contact ZoneAlarm update service.   Receiving data."  So I
gather  it is doing absolutely nothing!!  Harriet
  Installing the ZoneAlarm update fixed the  problem for me -- my
security setting is back on  HIGH.

However, it's worth noting that

(a) one  isn't going to learn about this webpage unless one has already
found one of  the workarounds listed,,,,, and

(b) when I told ZA to check  for updates, it reported itself already up to
date -- I had to manually  select the right update from this page and
install  it.

This all presupposes that one successfully  determines that it's a
problem with ZA and the updates (if one left them on  totally automatic
operation, as Microsoft recommends, one would not know  they had
occurred...)

I bet there are ISPs all over the world  fielding "sudden loss of
connectivity" calls about this.  Not a huge  flood, but enough to be
wondering who broke what, and how.

David  Gillett

On 10 Jul 2008 at 14:28, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>  Thank you so much for this  bit of information.  I did as you  instructed
and
> downloaded an update from  Zone Alarm, but I still  had to move that 'high'
> setting down to  'medium.'  If not,  then I couldn't get online.  So I
thought by
> uninstalling  that 'hot fix' (#KB951748) would fix it for me,  (so I could
> keep  my setting on HIGH) I did that, but before it finished  uninstalling,
it
> said if I uninstalled that fix, then I would lose the ability  of  KB951978
from
> working.  I don't know why MS  doesn't know how  these affect certain
firewalls,
> if not all of them.    Possibly Gates left at the right time!!
Harriet

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml