From:
"Brian L. Sanburn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 18:57:44 -0500
Neal,

        What I would do in that situation is first search my own system for the
file and any (hopefully) duplicates that exist.  If you do find a copy be
sure to compare version numbers and the rest on each as sometimes a file HAS
TO BE at least such-and-such a version number.  If that all looks ok you
just have to place the "new" win.com file into whatever location the
"corrupt" win.com resides.  (You may need to do this in DOS as the file may
be in use by Windows.  And don't forget to NOT overwrite the "corrupt" file
as you may need it later; simply rename it to win.old or whatever.)

        Also, you may not need to have your autoexec.bat and config.sys files
running at all.  I've disabled them both and find that I personally and
having no problems running without them.

        My two-cents worth.

        Brian

<<< you wrote... >>>

To all those smart guys and gals out there...
My win 98 computer been working perfectly till this morning. I turn it on
and now my Win.com file is either missing or corrupted. Is the fix as simple
as copying the win.com file from a good boot disk over to the hard drive?
And since win.com runs inside autoexec.bat, do I have to just copy the whole
autoexec.bat file?

Thanks for any help,
Neal Collins

                   messages? Visit our staff web site: