From:
ken kovler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 20:55:51 -0500
In Our Last Episode On 11:36 AM 2/7/99 -0500,M W Johnston Our Hero Wrote...
> My power supply fan makes a very loud noise.
>
> Is there a safe way to fix the fan?
> OR
> Is there a safe way to replace the fan?
> OR
> Must I replace the whole power supply?
>
> I have no problem opening the case the doing the work. I just want to know
> what is recommended. Thanks.
>
> Martha Johnston

No you only have to replace the fan. You will probably most likely have to
remove the power supply to be able to do this. If you let the supply sit
for awhile after you power off the computer, so the voltages bleed off from
the filter capacitors, thus making it safe to work on.

 It is possible to lubricate the old fan. I have done it on one
supply(without even opening up the case)but you have to find a way to get
some lubricate into the bearing, without splashing it all over the
internals of the supply. So far the one I recently lubricated is working
just fine.

Ken

  Kenneth J. Kovler       [log in to unmask]
          o                       http://www.bcpl.net/~kkovler
      /\o/                 O    WWW-Pager http://wwp.mirabilis.com/498455
     0  \\          |     0-#    http://www.bcpl.net/~kkovler/dip.html
        //           |      / \          ^ Home Personal Computer^
 Always on the Net, just like in tennis!

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]