From:
Tom Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jun 2005 12:53:40 -0700
This sounds most likely that your CPU is overheating with a secondary
problem with the computer case speaker. First check to make sure the fan for
the CPU comes on when you turn the computer on. Also check to make sure it
is clean of dust. If that is OK, next remove the heat sink from the CPU,
clean the contact areas, reapply thermal gel, and reinstall. Since you are
inside the case, check the fan operation on the video card and the case
fans. And check the wires to the case speaker.

You probably have a great sound system and the case speaker is not needed as
long  as the system is functioning OK.

My experience with motherboards are that they are dead on delivery, shorted
to the case when first installed, or work fine till upgraded in a few years.
Therefor, your thought of a bad motherboard, although not impossible, seems
unlikely to me.

I hope this helps get you up and running again. I know how frustrating this
can be.

As an aside, 512mb of RAM seems on the skimpy side for running high end
games.

Tom Mayer