From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Mar 1998 10:28:23 -0800
On  6 Mar 98 at 6:43, Loy Pressley wrote:

> David Gillett wrote:
>
> > > System particulars:  Gateway 2000 4DX2-66V with pentium upgrade 83 MHz
> > > chip,
> >
> > the P83 upgrade always struck me as overpriced and underpowered.  How
> > has your experience been -- would you do it again?
>
> It has seemed to work fine so far.
>
> I think it was overpriced but Gateway gave me a discount because of the
> lawsuit against them for selling this computer as DX2-66 with a promise
> of upgrading to pentium when the pentium upgrade chips came out.  The
> lawsuit finally forced them to provide the upgrade chip.
>
> I wouldn't do it again if there were a faster chip available for this
> mother board.  Is there a faster pentium chip that will work with this
> motherboard? Would it actually increase the speed given the VESA bus
> system that this mother board has?

  I believe the P83 (for 33 MHz boards) and P63 (same, for 25 MHz
boards) are the only Pentium upgrade options for 486 systems.  AMD
rates their 5x86-133 as about the equivalent in speed of a P75 (which
would have a 50 MHz board and a 64-bit data path), and so that be a
bit faster than the P83.

> > 1.  Get yourself a copy of Partition Magic.  In this instance, Drive
> > Copy is insufficient; PM does all that and some more besides.
>
> Does Partition Magic have a site on the Web?

  Yes:

http://www.powerquest.com/

  [Not an affiliate, just a satisfied customer.]

David G