From:
Steve Dias <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 16:42:02 -0500
I assume the router has an internal IP address something like 192.168.1.1,
and your PC's use DHCP to obtain their internal IP addresses, that's how my
Sohoware NBG600 works.
If so, try pinging this router IP from each machine. The Default Gateway in
each PC's TCP/IP settings should match the internal IP of the router. Also
check that each PC's IP address is in the 192.168.1.xxx range using the
ipconfig command from a dos prompt. If all this is as it should be, then
look at the cabling, NIC drivers or router itself.
Sometimes if a PC fails to renew an IP address from the router Windows will
change the IP on that machine to a default the router can't handle. Manually
resetting that PC to something in the 192.168.1.xxx range should get you
connectivity to the router.

Steve

This is a weird one. I have a BEFSR41 v2 router linked to DSL modem. The
router has four other RJ45 ports. Each one is linked to a separate computer:
233MHz Dell, 400Mhz Compaq, 233 Mhz home build, and a 2.4 Ghz P4S8X board
with
onboard NIC. Each box runs Win98se. Upon installation about a year ago, all
boxes had internet access, could see each other and could share files.

About three or four weeks ago I started noticing that the 2.4 box couldn't
get internet access at certain times of the day. I was typically from about
2am
until 11am. All the other boxes still had access. I can't access the router
anymore (by typing in router address in browser). Now the 2.4 box can't
access internet from 11pm to 11am. There is no network OS where access times
can
be controlled. I have Norton AV current and found no trojans/viruses. ( I
was thinking perhaps some external force was controlling internet access)

I'm thinking either the router port the 2.4 box is using is going out, or,
the router itself is going out, or perhaps there's something wrong with the
onboard NIC. Any ideas? Has anyone heard of something like this?

TIA,
Kevin Nowicki

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com