Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 10:36:00 -0500
I just built my new computer with the devices below.  Every time I install the HP CD writer, I cannot play any VCD discs.  I can play and watch VCDs prior to CD writer installation.
System says:  MMSYSTEM296. The file cannot be played on the specified MCI device.  The file may be corrupt or not in the correct format.
I am using Power VCD Player and  Window Media Player to play the VCDs.  Can't use the VCD player that came with the ATI package since it can only play ver. 1 discs.  Removing or uninstalling the CD writer program gets back the VCDs playing.
What has the CD writer installation has got to do with the VCD player?  Checking the system.ini and win.ini, nothing is changed when CD writer is installed or not, and so is the Media Control Device for VCD.
Any thoughts?

MSI MS-6339 mobo
ATI All in wonder 128 Pro AGP
40G Seagate HDD