From:
Kenneth Whyman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2008 11:39:59 -0700
Another issue besides what Russ mentioned could be a change in the RAM
timing, or how often and the method the system uses to read from and
write to the RAM. If the four sticks don't agree between themselves on
the timing, the system will likely use the slowest stick's timing for
all four, since all RAM must perform together as a single unit. A faulty
slot could also cause this as the original poster may have been
thinking. Trying your old RAM in the switched slots may be a good
diagnostic tool to compare slots. As for RAM timing, you could use the
BIOS to override what the sticks ask for and set the timing yourself. It
is not a task for the faint of heart, and can cause major instability in
your operating system if the RAM timing is too fast and causes memory
errors. Take a look in your motherboard manual and on the manufacturer's
website for tips. Also a good idea in that case to check with the RAM
manufacturer for acceptable timing settings. Best of luck. :)

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Mark Rode<[log in to unmask]>