Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 17:21:36 -0700
Harold E. Schumacher, Jr. wrote:

> Hello all,
>
>         I need some help trying to figure out how to hook up 2 printers and
> a scanner on an A/B switch box.  We did what we thought was right,
> but we obviously goofed up something.
>         From the back of the computer we have a cable from the printer port
> to the A/B switch box I/O port.  A cable goes from 'A' port on
> switch box to scanner.  From scanner, a cable goes to the printer we
> want to be 'default' which is a Canon BJC 250.  A cable goes from
> the 'B' port on switch box to the other printer which is a Brother
> L1014 (not exactly sure about the model #).
>         First of all, are the cables in order as I have described them?
> Then, when printing a 'test' document and switching from one printer
> to another using the switch, do you also have to change the
> 'default' printer in the Printer folder to whichever you want to use
> at that time?
>         We just kept getting inconsistent results with the way it is set-up
> right now; was able to print a scanned picture on the Canon, but not
> always able to print a text doc on the Brother after switching to
> 'B'.  Coming back to the Canon would then only bring up a dialog box
> about the print cartridge; can't remember what it said, but seemed
> irrelevant because it just printed a few minutes ago.
>         Sorry for being so long winded, but tried to give as many details
> as possible.

First, we need some more clarification.  Is the scanner a parallel port
scanner that is designed to 'daisy-chain' with a printer?  I am
presuming so, because it appears from your text that you have a cable
from the A/B Box (port A) to the scanner and then another cable from the
scanner to the printer.

I am also assuming you are running Win9x.

Now, how is the printer port set up.  It is set to be an ordinary
printer port, or is it set for bi-directional control or ECC or EPP?

Do both of your printers require the SAME printer port configuration?
If the Canon requires EPP, lets say, and the Brother wants Regular, then
the brother may be getting confused with the port set to EPP.  And once
the port and printer gets confused, perhaps switching back  just makes
things bad for the Canon.

You have got to make sure all of the devices are compatible with the
printer port settings.  If not, you may need to do away with the switch
boc and go for a dual parallel port card that will handle each device on
its own port (LPT1, LPT2 and LPT3).

HTH
--
Jean Bourvic :>))