From:
Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 19:17:48 -0500
Long story, I'll try to keep it brief and clear.
Original  PC came with XP Home. I wanted XP Pro, so called MS to find out
how to transfer the XP Home to another PC and install XP Pro on the original
computer.
MS said to buy an OEM of XP Pro, install it on the original computer, then
install XP Home on my other computer. This went as advertised.
I subsequently built a new computer, trashed the second computer and
installed XP Home on the new build. (This copy of XP home is now in its
third computer. Activation was required at each step, and I got all the
necessary numbers from MS.
The EULA, however, says this:
"* Software as a Component of the Computer - Transfer.  THIS
      LICENSE MAY NOT BE SHARED,
      TRANSFERRED TO OR USED CONCURRENTLY
      ON DIFFERENT COMPUTERS.  The SOFTWARE
      is licensed with the HARDWARE as a single integrated
      product and may only be used with the HARDWARE.  If the
      SOFTWARE is not accompanied by new HARDWARE, you may
      not use the SOFTWARE.  You may permanently transfer all
      of your rights under this EULA only as part of a
      permanent sale or transfer of the HARDWARE, provided
      you retain no copies, if you transfer all of the SOFTWARE
      (including all component parts, the media and printed
      materials, any upgrades, this EULA and the Certificate
      of Authenticity), and the recipient agrees to the terms
      of this EULA.  If the SOFTWARE is an upgrade, any
      transfer must also include all prior versions of the
      SOFTWARE."
I'm not concerned about this, as MS has approved each step, but I'm
confused. Can the OS be legitimately transferred to new hardware once it's
been activated?

www.zoemargo.com

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml