Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 15:39:25 +1200
Al, I'll just answer the easiest part.

After you install Mobo Monitor, you need to go into the BIOS and see what
processor temperature is being reported (if the BIOS\mobo doesn't support
temperature monitoring, obviously you can't do this)

Then, finish booting and look in the systray to see which of the 3 sensors
is reporting a temperature closest to the one you observed in the BIOS.

Now go into Mobo Monitor and configure ONLY the sensor that applies to the
CPU. (You may want to set up the other 2, I don't bother with them)

When you finish, you should have the CPU temp displayed in a systray box,
and when you hold your mouse over it's icon, you'll see a rollover message
displaying the temp for Sensor 1, with zip degrees for Sensors 2 and 3.

BTW, if your CPU is running at 30c, you have absolutely nothing to be
concerned about :--))

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand

From: "A&C Thompson" Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2002 5:18 AM
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Heat tolerance for enclosed Tower

> First, thanks Ian and Tom for your suggestions - always appreciated. There
are a lot more questions I have,
> ( not specifically aimed at you guys, but have at her if you want ) - any
and all info from anyone is always
> welcome.
>
> I did download Mobo Monitor and it does the trick in that it displays 3
different temps in the tray, and all
> seem to run at or under 30*C. Unfortunately, I don't know which is which,
or how often they're updated, but I
> suppose since they all run relatively low my concerns have been almost(?)
eradicated. I have also put a
> regular old thermometer inside the desk cabinet, and it climbs steadily
until about 35*C, so additional
> venting doesn't appear(?) necessary, but the other concerns listed below
may change that.

> As I have inquired about AMD processor temps on this list before, and
learned they can run fairly hot, that
> was not really one of my concerns - I was more curious about safe
operating temps for the other components.
> Specifically, if I burn a cd, I suspect the temp inside the case to rise
dramatically. If so, how will that
> affect components that already run warm - power supply, pci cards, agp,
etc.? When is it too warm for a hard
> drive? Can the plastic circuit boards distort from excessive heat without
actually being exposed to flame? I
> guess what I need to know is...what are the signs that it's just getting
too darned warm in there and fire
> becomes a real possible issue?
>
> Are thermal shutdowns an indicator that just the processor is too hot, or
the overall temp in the case is too
> hot? Do manufactures offer safe operating temp specs for particular
components, and do you suppose similar
> components have similar specs? I know I'm asking quite a few questions,
but I have wondered about these issues
> ever since I first saw pc desks with enclosed cpu spaces, and now I have
to deal with them ( since the wife
> insists the cpu should be where the desk manufacturer decided - whipped -
lol.)

> Anyway, all thoughts and experiences welcomed and appreciated...
>
> Al Thompson
>
> Ian wrote:
> (snipped for brevity)
>
> > Al, why don't you download Motherboard Monitor and install it into your
PC?

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com