From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 20:07:39 -0700
On 26 Jun 2002, at 18:42, Dennis Thiel wrote:

> A friend of mine was told by Adelphia that if he wanted to share
> his cable internet access with other computers in his home, it
> would cost an extra $24.95 per month per computer. I was under the
> impression that when you have a network with one computer as the
> gateway connected to the internet, the client computers have their
> own internal IP addresses that can't be seen by the outside world.
> Only the gateway computer has an external IP address. What's to
> stop him from setting up his own network and sharing the
> connection? How would anyone know? I've heard of people buying
> secondary static IP addresses for additional computers and this
> makes no sense to me either. Doesn't just the gateway have to have
> the external address?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dennis Thiel

  If you wanted to run multiple servers, you would want separate
(static) external addresses for each.  Of course, most cable modem
providers don't really want customers to do that, either....

  It's true:  A gateway or router can make an entire LAN look like a
single (rather active) machine.  Of course, if you want the provider
to *support* your configuration, they need to know about it and agree
to do so -- otherwise, you'll get no help from them if it breaks.  To
some people, that might be worth a bit extra each month.

David Gillett