Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 20:02:54 -0700
Harold E. Schumacher, Jr. wrote:
>         I can print a document, cabled as above, from the 'B'
> side of the box on the Brother printer, but on the 'A' side, I
> get a dialog box that says "Cannot detect cartridge type; Please
> check printer is online and cables are secured".  You have no idea
> how many times I have done that---frustrating.
>         Does this Canon just not ~like~ being run through a switch
> box?  Remember, both printers worked when installed alone.  Yet
> the Brother ~does~ work through the switch box.
>         Maybe it ~is~ time to go get that dual parallel port card.
>
> Any help appreciated.
> Harold E. Schumacher, Jr.

As has been mentioned several times before on similar issues, not all
things are equal.  I have seen switch-boxes that are not completely
populated.  In the old days, before bi-directional printers were made,
printer cables did not need to have all 25 wires connected.  And switch
box manufacturers cut corners and did not use quality components and
populate every wire. And even when every wire was installed, the
switches were of low quality that contact resistance can cause problems
with the newer printers.  Can you see this in your system? Try making
the brother the "A" system and the printer/scanner combo the "B"
system.  If it still won't print right, it has to be the
switch-box/scanner combo with the printer.  Probably scanner/Canon
printer alone on the port works fine, right?

As was recommended some time ago in another post, ditch the switch-box
for a parallel port card or if you want to try (and spend you money on
something that _may_ not work) get an autoswitch box for bidirectional
devices.

As it sounds now, that mechanical switch box is your problem.
--
Jean Bourvic :>))

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html