From:
phuisman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 07:31:38 +0800
Power off the PC, open it, disconnect H/D power, restart the PC. If the noise is
still there, power down, reconnect H/D power, disconnect the CPU fan, restart
the PC - but DO NOT leave it running for more than 10-20 seconds. If noise is
still there and you cannot determine where it is coming from, power down,
reconnect CPU fan power, gently push a plastic pen or similar into the power
supply fan blade, power on for 10 to 20 seconds. Ditto CD drive if fitted.

Peter Huisman

--------------------------------------

Hugh Vandervoort wrote:

> I'm helping my neighbor with her Noisy E-Machine.
> This very loud nose is either the processor fan or the hard drive.
> Fortuneately, she has an extended warranty from Circuit City ($199.00). Not!
> The tech support guy, from an outfit called Computer Support Plus tells me
> that the warranty doesn't cover noise.
> He also told me (I have his ID #) that I can remove the cover without
> voiding the warranty.
> Should I leave this computer running until it fails (The owner is out of
> town for a month and she has a backup of all important files), or open it up
> and try to solve the problem?
> I'm comfortable working with hardware.
> Does anyone have experience with these computers?
> Has anyone ever heard of such a nonsensical warranty policy?
> Thanks.

>                   http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html