Date:
Wed, 26 Dec 2001 03:30:29 -0500
Good morning Clyde

Your email provider (SWBell) should have removed the offending
email for you.   Id guess with the holidays someone was there
that didn't want to be and wasn't going to do any more work then
s/he had to.

Badtrans takes a file from the infected system attaches itself to
it and resends.  It is possible it chose a Large file that
nortons and/or your email program was having problems getting.

"If" it happens again you could start with SWBell again hoping to
get better results.    If that doesn't work disable nortons as
you did this time,  Get new mail,  Do NOT read any of the email
until you reenable your nortons and if possible force an email
scan to remove the offending email/attachment.

You didn't state what your email program is,  if it is any
variety of Outlook make sure you keep it up to date both version
wise and with patches to help prevent known infection of the
sorts as badtrans and then simply downloading the email wont be a
problem as its the attachment that is infected that can be
deleted afterwards.

I do hope that helps

Christy White

On 12/25/01 at 4:07 PM Clyde W. Burns wrote:

>I recently checked my mail and got a virus warning from Norton
virus
>protection, I did what was suggested, quarintine,etc. and then
the mail
>server timed out and when it checked for mail again, same thing
again,
>finally after about ten of these cycles I called SWBell to see
if I could
>get the offending message taken off the server. They told me no
I would
>have to go to my computer manufacturer(Dell). I then ran the
system virus
>scan and it showed no virus. I called Dell and they suggested
for me to
>call Norton as the only solution for them would be to strip down
the
>system, even though I told them there was no virus shown. I
called Norton,
>gave them my credit card number and we started by checking the
registry
>which he said was not corrupted and then running another virus
scan which
>showed nothing, he then had me download a virus-removing tool
which I ran
>(the virus was badtrans) and it showed there was no virus to
remove.
>   I then tried my mail again with the same results as before.
At that
>point I said to heck with it,disabled the email-protection and
downloaded
>the messages, deleted the offending one and everything worked
fine. I also
>ran the virus scan again with no virus being shown. Can someone
tell me
>what happened and what to do if it happens again. I suspect I
got some bad
>advice which cost me with no results. I probably did not word
this too
>well as I am not very tech-minded. Thanks!

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com