From:
"Rand M. Blunck" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 09:33:04 -0700
Jimmy,

I haven't worked with any e-machines, so perhaps this is common and someone
else can give you direct advice.  If you search Microsoft's knowledge base
for article Q145926, you can find a long list of troubleshooting
recommendations.  Most of these expect your problem to occur each time you
shut down though.  You might want to try the ones that fit your situation of
intermittent hangs first - like #10, examining the bootlog.txt file to see
what will not terminate.

Other possibilities not mentioned in this article are:
- IRQ steering enabled
- Conflict with temporary internet files; clear them out
- More than 1 power profile
- Anti-virus software checking for drive a:
- NDIS intermediate drivers (check Microsoft article Q243199).

Good luck,
Rand Blunck
Why Not Try Computing
Glendale, AZ

>  ...the machine just hangs at the "please wait while we shut
> down you computer screen."
>...  It seems to happen
> whenever I have my computer n for very long periods of time (6 - 7 hrs
> without rebooting).
>
> Jimmy DaPea

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com