From:
Giampaolo Bellini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 2004 09:34:09 +0200
Hi David... I'm sorry but I don't understand...

>>Hi all...
>>
>>I have a question regarding the ISA bus: looking at the specs, it seems
>>that a device can drive the MEMCS16 signal if it want to be serviced
>>with a 16 bit data bus.
>>But MEMCS16 is decoded from SA17-SA23 lines address... so it seems that
>>I cannot have a 16bit device in the low memory (under 0x03FFFF)... is
>>this right ?
>>

>  No.  It has been a while since I looked, but I'm pretty sure that I/O
>addresses are a maximum of 16 bits.  SA17-SA23 are available for uses like
>MEMCS16 *because* they are not used as part of the I/O address.

you are right, IO address range goes from 0x0000 and 0xFFFF, and I
cannot have an IO card outside this address... the IOCS16 is decoded
from SA0-SA15 and so I can serve an IO card with an 8/16 data bus.

Memory-addressed cards seems different... infact if, in order to change
the state of the MEMCS16, I must decode the SA17-SA23 address, I deduce
that my 16 bit memory mapped device  can be addressed only between
0x03FFFF and FFFFFF... is this right ?

>>also... can I address an IO device and a memory-mapped device in the
>>same space (for example at 0xd000) ?
>>

>  Yes.  Unlike some other architectures, the x86 family uses a separate
>address space for memory and for I/O.  (Memory-mapped devices, other than
>ROM and RAM, are extremely rare in the PC world.)

ok... I expect that.

>David Gillett
>
>        The NOSPIN Group provides a monthly newsletter with great
>       tips, information and ideas: NOSPIN-L, The NOSPIN Magazine
>           Visit our web site to signup: http://freepctech.com

thanks a lot for your answer....

    Giampaolo Bellini

                     visit our download web page at: