From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jul 2003 12:24:35 -0700
On 5 Jul 2003, at 6:44, Dennis Dittmar wrote:

> In a message dated 07/04/2003 5:17:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> <<   I think we need a bit more detailed information:
>
>  1.  When the machines worked, with RoadRunner, how were they connected?
>  --- with a router one directly cabled the 98SE with a wireless

  Okay, that's clearer.

>  2.  Do they work with AOL Broadband at all?
>  --- the XP machine works (Iconnects) only if the cable modem is directly
> plugged into it and not through the router

  This suggests that AOL's system has learned the MAC (hardware) address of
the XP machine's network card.  Can you plug the 98 machine in directly?
Does it work if you use the XP machine's network card, and not if you don't?
 (It may not be convenient to perform these experiments.)

>  3.  Where/how are you plugging in the router?  Have you used it before?
>  --- The SCN router is receiving cable from Tim Warner's NY RoadRunner and
> cabled USP to the XP box which replaced another 98SE box and then wireless to a
> 98SE box in my daughters room

  USP?  I think you mean either UTP or USB, and I hope it's UTP.

>  4.  Each of the PCs will have an IP address, and the router will likely have
>  at least two.  Which IP address is changing, wnd what makes this a problem
>  for you?
> --- Aol-Time Warner say that the 192..... address s/b 10.....
> its 192 when the router is plugged  in and changes to the 'right' 10... when
> the cable is directly connected to the XP box

  Bill Cohane has already addressed this, I think, but basically the device
(router or XP) that's plugged directly into the cable modem will get a
10.x.x.x address on the cable network side.  When it's the router, the LAN
of router, XP, and 98SE is a separate network that needs its own private
addresses, and the 192.168.x.x range are commonly used for this.

Suggestions:

  On the router configuration, make sure that the cable modem is on the
"WAN" port and the XP box on the "LAN" port.  Make sure that NAT ("Network
Address Translation") is turned on.
  On the XP box, run "ipconfig" from a command-line prompt to find out the
"gateway" address.  Use the "ping" command to make sure the machine can
reach that address, and get responses back from it.
  Try pinging www.yahoo.com.  If that doesn't work, the message may help us
understand if there is a further problem.

  You *might* have to find out the MAC address of the XP machine's network
card, and tell the router to use this address on the cable network.

David Gillett