From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 09:36:27 -0500
Just a few more comments.  As stated, FAT16 is 16 bit.  16 bits (2 to the
16th power) yield 65536 combinations, so FAT16 is a table with only 65536
possible entries.  You have to divide the entire storage space of your disk
into 65536 clusters, meaning, for large disks, you are going to end up with
large clusters, because more disk space is assigned to each table entry in
the FAT.  FAT32, (2 to the 32nd power) has so many possible entries for the
FAT that in practice you could set the cluster size to whatever you want,
the default is 4096 bytes.

Both of these have their own performance issues. This is why we install NTFS
on our windows 2000 notebooks.  The drive can be accessed from a bootable
cd, (you can make bootable diskettes but it seems a real pain, I have never
tried) and the performance difference is undetectable when using a modern,
pentium III class pc.  NTFS is a repairable file system, the only
shortcomings I see are that it is subject to fragmentation, (but so is
fat32) and some popular wizards and tools may not have NTFS versions.  This
doesn't bother me because I use the Microsoft tools. It has been the best
choice for the very large disk drives installed in our notebooks.  As for
the password, we prevent this by creating more than one administrator logon.
That way you have 4 or 5 passwords to forget before you run into trouble!
Its a rule I follow with every system that has administrative rights
restrictions.
Tom Turak