From:
Eric Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 17:03:07 -0500
At 03:13 PM 12/11/98 -0500, you wrote:
<snip>
>        Formatted and installed Windows 95...   Works fine. Installed the
>upgrade version of Windows 98, Again, it works fine. So, I don't
>have a crisis, I just want to know WHY!!
>        Should I assume the Windows 98 cd is bad? Something with the
>motherboard or video card??
<snip>

I was a beta tester with Microsoft and tested countless versions of 98 before
it was released to the GP.  With about 90% of the builds I tested, I had the
same problems as you have just experienced.

The best answer I could ever get from M$ was that it was an incompatible driver
issue.  I experimented with some things and basically narrowed it down to my
PCI IDE controller chip.  I once swapped everything out to another system.  The
ONLY difference was that instead of the Intel Bus Mastering chipset, the new MB
used something else (can't recall but I believe it was an Adaptec controller).

It always bothered me that the 95 driver for this chipset was fine, but the 98
driver was SOMETIMES corrupt or improper.  If I installed 95 and upgraded to 98
I never had a problem because 98 would use the driver that was already
installed.

Go figure!

HTH

Eric