Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 13:17:10 +1300
Haven't seen any replies to this one so I'll jump in with some possibly
not-too-well informed comment:

I would have thought this would have worked...except then I started to
wonder how you'd set up and formatted the slave drive to begin with. And
then used the WD copy program.

It's just that most of my experience has been with W98, and if this was a
W98 situation, I'd be booting into DOS and doing the format and disk copy
from there.  Not sure how one does that with XP.

Anyway, I've found that the WD format and disk copy doesn't always work,
even with 98 - this is possibly because I have a Raid\Ata mobo and for some
reason the WD, as well as the Seagate and Maxtor disk utilities, don't
always work 100%.

But I get around it like this: I use FDisk to format the new drive.  Then I
plonk both drives (the original and the one I want to clone) into another,
separate system which has Drive2Drive installed on it.

Then boot up (from C) and use Drive2Drive to clone D onto E (or whatever)

Note that the free copy of D2D only clones drives of equal size, whereas the
paid copy has no limitation, and redistributes free space.

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand