From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 18:23:30 -0500
I've been trying to slice and dice a 60gb hard drive into a few partitions,
but I'm running into a problem.  I'm using a Win98 setup/boot disk.  I've
been trying to make a 30gb primary dos partition and about a 25gb extended
partition; then, I break the extended partition into two logical drives, a
8gb D: drive and a 17gb E: drive.  This leaves about 5gb of the hard drive
unpartitioned for possible use by another operating system later.

Anyway, the problem is that after I've made the E: drive, using up all the
remaining extended partition, I can go back to the fdisk menu and ask it to
show me the current partition data and everything looks fine, ie C, D, and E
all show up with the right amount of space in each.  But after I exit fdisk
and reboot (again using the Win98 boot disk), the E: partition doesn't show
up.  The boot disk goes ahead and assigns the ramdrive to E:, and I know
that I'm in trouble at that point.  If I try to run fdisk after the boot up
is finished, I get an error message about the fixed disk not being readable.

I end up using an IBM Hard Drive Utility to wipe out the boot record on the
drive, so I can start over.  Running the IBM utility indicates that as far
as the hard drive's functioning goes, there are no problems.

Any suggestions as to why I can't get this E drive to stick?

I've also tried this without any unpartitioned drive space left over.  In
other words, the whole drive is taken up by the primary and the extended
partitions (with the extended partition still consisting of a D and a E
drive).

TIA,

John

                     support at our newest website: