From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 11:29:56 -0700
On 19 Apr 99, at 6:31, Mike Buraczewski wrote:

> A quick unscientific opinion poll.  Given the four types of processor
> socket [Slot 1, Slot 2, Super Socket 7, Socket 370], deciding on a
> mobo/processor combination and future upgrades etc is becoming more
> confusing and difficult.  It seems we have to decide today which
> manufacturer/chip we will continue to support with future upgrades by
> virtue of which combination we purchase today.  I sort of liked the slot 1
> arrangement that allowed use of a celeron today and a PII option for future
> upgrade.  However it looks like that arrangement is a thing of the past.
> Any thoughts on the future of these differing arrangements?  Are they all
> here to stay, or is one or the other a declining technology that will
> disappear in the near future?

  Although Intel is trying to lock low-end (Celeron) customers into
Socket370, several companies are doing lots of business in "riser cards".
These are small cards with a Socket370 on them to take a PPGA Celeron, that
will then fit into a Slot 1 motherboard.  [Some of these cards offer voltage
adjustments (popular with overclockers...) and enable the SMP features of the
Celeon that are normally present but disabled.

  Slot 2 is strictly for Xeon; these may never be priced for the mass market.
And while AMD (CPU) and VIA (chipset) make SS7 still viable for performance
on a budget, Intel has already abandonned Socket 7 and I think many large
businesses have followed them.

David G

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>