From:
Jun Qian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 23:41:03 +1000
I think I should give more info after today's hard work on it.

In system information, it shows no conflict and DMA problem (in fact it
didn't show ANY problem at all), but in device manager, it says the sound
card couldn't find any free DMA. there are free DMAs shown in system
information.

I finaly changed the sound card DMA config (every hard to do so), now
everything back to work again. What I don't understand is how and why the
only one DMA problem distroyed whole system. I have some questions here:
1) if change sound card config would solve the problem, why change SCSI
config wouldn't?
2) If only the sound card has problem, why Display (for games) and TV
capture cards also stopped working?
3) As I said, in system information, it shows free DMAs and no problem, why
device manager says no free DMA?

Hope someone can help me with those questions. TIA

J Qian

I wrote:

> I have installed a scsi cd-writer (Panasonic) on a full-tower computer.
> the computer already has a dvd-rom & a TV capture card. Before I
> installed the cd-writer, everything worked fine. After installed CD-R, I
> tested the CD-R & it works fine, however the sound card started shown a
> DMA problem. In device manager, I couldn't change DMA for sound card (it
> doesn't allow me to do so), so I changed the SCSI card DMA around. But
> it doesn't solve the problem. Soon, I discovered that not only the sound
> card, but the TV capture stopped working too, no TV can be recieved. The
> problem did end here. No games can be played too (no display output for
> games).
>
> After few hours trying to solve it, I finaly did a clear re-intallation
> of win98. Still same problem.
>
> System:
> Viper 550 AGP 16Mb
> Storm Platium (spelling could be wrong) sound card
> 128Mb RAM
> DVD-ROM drive (4x ??)
> Panasonic SCSI CD-R (4x8) with Advansys ISA PnP SCSI card
> 10.2 G HDD

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html