Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:06:54 -0600
Hello Bob,

Windows XP isn't the problem. Which version of Roxio were you using? Roxio
version 5 is not compatible with XP without an update that should be
installed as per Roxio's instructions. Versions 6 and 7 are both compatible,
but have updates that should be installed. There is a known problem with
optical drives not being recognized after Roxio is uninstalled but this
doesn't appear to be the case in your situation.

You stated that neither drive will recognize any CD. Does this include
commercial CDs?  As a starting point, I suggest you check the drive
manufacturer's Web site for any firmware updates for your drives. Then
insure any updates for the software (Roxio, Sonic, SyncBack) has been
installed. All should format to the UDF (Universal Disk Format) file system
which is readable in any Windows system. Check for remnants of previously
installed DVD/CD mastering software as this almost always causes conflicts.

My recommendation is to salvage any data you can from the CD-RW disks and
use CD-R disks. CD-RW disks deteriorate rapidly over time and with use.
Nowadays, CD-R disks are cheaper and they are much more reliable.

You can still use the Backup Utility for Windows to make your backups. Just
save the backup to the hard drive and record or copy it to CD from there.

Sven Swanson, Sr.