From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 15:49:04 -0400
Preston, you are more than half way there so I will not cover this in too
much detail.  There are plenty of commercial programs that will set up a new
drive, I bet Maxtor has one on its site.  You can, however, do this using
windows only, if you have Win98 or 2000, with xcopy.

First, whether you get a program or use windows xcopy, I would suggest as my
one and only insight, that you install the new drive as the MASTER with the
old drive disconnected (so the system doesn't see it), and partition it.

THEN, change it to slave and reconnect the old drive as master.

After you format the new partitions D: G: and H: (E: and F: will be the old
D: and E:), if you plan on using xcopy, open a dos box, switch to the d:
drive, and type
xcopy c: d: /r /i /c /h /k /e /y

repeat for E to G and F to H.

There are lots of good reasons to use programs designed specifically for
your task, but reliability isn't one of them, xcopy works just fine for a
mirror image transfer.  I don't know if it works for xp.
Tom Turak