From:
Michael Eisenstadt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 10:53:48 -0600
Thanks, John Sproule, for your comprehensive reply. I
am studying it in detail.

You write:

> and perhaps follow up with more detail if you provide
> some more specifics about what you are looking to
> do with your new computer.

This is what I am having trouble formulating for myself.
I assembled an overclocked "state of the art" box with
generous hand-holding from PCBuild subscribers in
1999. Its mb and processor after 5 years of heavy
use are functioning as designed. I used it to photograph
and design a moderately successful Web site
(http://charlesumlauf.com)  using a Sony VX1000 as a
still camera with a now obsolete Intel composite/S-video
imput card.

I have a nice new never used Enermax midtower case
bought from a friend. I would like to install a computer
in it, at the least for redundancy and to have a network.
I dont want to buy a used 5 year old mb + processor
like mine on EBay (many available for around $30)
although perhaps I should as the Asus P2B-x/Pentium 2
combo seems to be bulletproof.

I would prefer to buy a newer generation of PC where
there would be some headroom for something down
the road but naturally I can't say exactly what. That
runs at a speed that gives me mild bragging rights if
only to myself ;-). I have always fancied that I might
enjoy airplane piloting simulation on a sufficiently
powerful computer for example.

So I am looking for a very fast processor bundled with
a quality motherboard available at a greatly discounted
price because it is one or so generations older that the
latest and fastest. There seem to be a great many of
very heavily discounted combo options in
pricewatch.com's listings. I am trying to educate myself
as which CPU, whether AMD or Intel, would be the best
deal at this point in time in terms of speed and stability.
As well as the right chipset, FSB speed, etc of the board.

I realize that I am not asking specific enough questions.
If you or anyone else has anything to say in regard to
the fuzzy parameters outlined above, I would appreciate
hearing from you. Perhaps someone would be prepared
to say what processor and board one should specifically
look for at this point in time.

Many thanks in advance.

Michael Eisenstadt