From:
Richard Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 2005 11:36:06 -0500
Your reply never mentioned the noise, or if the PS was new...
73W is getting up there for a PS, IF it only provides [log in to unmask]
You might "get by" if you have on board video or a less expensive
Video card, and or do not have more than one HD, etc...
(A basic "Office type" machine, NOT a power sucking "Gamer type"...)

Ratings for CPU temperature are "generally"? maximums, which you
seem to be well under...  Disclaimer: I do not use Intel CPUs (anymore),
so I am not familiar with their way of writing specs, or how they measure
them...

I like to keep my processor about 15* above the room (case) temperature
or less.  Right now, it is 18* above, but the case is open, and cooling is
compromised in that configuration... The two additional case fans (one
front and one rear) are just blowing air in circles through the open side
of the case instead of pushing and pulling it through, with no real benefit...
Disclaimer: I had an early failure (75 days) of a HD and I am currently
replacing it with the new one... I keep normally keep the case closed...

I am very surprised at the large differences in the fan speed in
two ways...  The difference in open vs. closed case for the processor,
(unless it is temperature monitored and speeds ITSELF up).
(I know you have Intel, but I have not seen an AMD fan that does that,
but I am only up to a Barton 3000+, so things might have changed
there...)
It does not seem like closing the case "should" make the CPU fan
"speed up" unless the fan itself "is" sensitive to (or is adjusting to) to the temp...
(You should look into that. Is the CPU FAN Intel too?)

The other thing that worries me (if it is a single speed fan) is that it
will vary up to 300 rpm (with or without the case open...)
With my single FIXED speed fans, (generally AMD retail package
fans), when I see a slow start-up and then a stable MAX speed,
I "start to think" the fan is getting old and sluggish, and needs to
"warm up" to loosen up the oil... I set the speed warning RPM "tighter"
in that situation and "watch" the fan like a hawk...
I "oil" some types of fans, but I don't think I ever "played with" a CPU
fan... The long term solution is a new one. ESPECIALLY CPU fans,
because any damage to a CPU is greater than what the fan might cost...

My software temp sensors only WARN me, they do not shut-down
the system.
I also have a "catastrophic fan failure" hardware sensor in the BIOS
that WILL shut down the system, so I can afford to play with the
"warning only" fan speed software measurements...

Hope some of this helped... There are whole WEB sites on cooling
and fans, etc... (I have been to them, but can't think of any right now...)

                        Rick Glazier

I CC:ed offlist for additional delivery speed... (Please keep replies
on list so all might benefit...)