From:
Pete Sowerby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 2004 08:41:51 -0500
I have a PC which over the last few months has started to do the following:

When you open either the DVD Writer or the DVD-Rom trays to load or extract a disc after burning or whatever, the PC "sometimes" completely switches off and restarts. It doesn't matter whether you use the drive button or the eject/load option via Explorer, it's just the same.

Then, it "sometimes" comes up with the CMOS battery low (BIOS settings all back to default)Sometimes it keeps the settings. I can understand that perhaps the CMOS battery is at the end of it's life and may need replacing, but why should the PC switch itself off in the first place when only using the disc trays.

I tend to leave the PC on all the time for access by all of the family.

The system is a:

Athlon AMD K7 1.6GHz Processor
Windows XP Pro O/S
40Gb HDD - plenty of space left
512Mb RAM

Any advice would be appreciated.

Best regards,       Pete Sowerby..........

All internal connections look fine, also - nothing coming adrift.

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml