From:
"Frank R. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 17:59:19 -0400
Yes, this can be done (at least on nt), but there is a nuance.

If you do this, you will have a tcp/ip 'multi-homed' machine.
(Your machine now has two 'virtual' nic's, i.e., the two
ras connections.  They are normal tcp/ip connections,
just like a regular nic on an lan, except slower.)  You might
even have a triple-homed system, if you're also on a lan
through a regular nic.

That is, your host (your machine) will have two ip address,
on two different subnets.  Most probably, each of the two
ip addresses will be dynamically assigned to you by each
of your two isp's from their ip address pool.

You should be able to get to (route to) any outside ip address
through either dial-up connection, should you so desire.

Here's the catch:  you will only have one default gateway.
I.e., ip addresses that are not *explicitly* routed through
a specific nic on a multi-homed system will be routed
through the default gateway.  When ras dials up, it
temporarily overrides the default gateway you set up
in your network properties with the default gateway
associated with the ras connection.

I'm only guessing, but I bet if you establish two dial-up connections,
the second connection will turn into your default gateway.

In any event, unless you take special measures to route
'surfing' traffic through a specific dial-up connection, your
traffic will go through your default gateway, and you'll be
using, for all practical purposes, only one dial-up connection.

BTW, nt supports multi-modem ras, so if the place you dial
into does as well, you could use your dual-dial-up to give
you what looks like a single dial-up connection with twice
the bandwidth.

Good luck.

Daniel Leung <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Have any idea it can be done, say I have two modem, two phone line and two dial up account. What else do I need to set it up so I can surf independently TIA

     Frank R.Brown
     Frank.R.Brown@MailAndNews

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html