From:
Len Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 13:42:46 +0100
Are different makes of 2.5 inch hard drive mechanically compatible
in dimensions and connector positioning?

I have a Dell Latitude with some spare HD modules that I would like
to upgrade from IBM DSOA-20810 810MB to 2GB - 5GB. One of the
modules accommodates 12.5mm thick drives, the other 17mm.

Since the HD connects to the module connector via a flexible PCB
which can't accommodate much lateral misalignment, it is essential
the the HD connector is the same distance from the edge of the drive.

A likely candidate is from the IBM 4GT or 5GT ranges
e.g. 4GT DTCA-23240 or 5GS DPLA-24480, but these are not
from stock at my distributor and other local (UK) advertisers
offer Hitachi and Toshiba drives.

A quick comparison of some older 2.5 inch drives
(Quantum Go-Drive 80AT, Toshiba MK2224FC & MK1924FC)
with the DSOA-20810 suggests the manufacturers have
seen sense and work to the same dimensions, but since
there is so little margin for error I would like
someone with experience to confirm that
so I don't make an expensive mistake.

Further:
* does anyone have experience of swapping a drive
into a Dell Latitude? Mechanically it's easy, are there
any other compatibility problems?

* can anyone identify the little 40-way connector on the module?
It's made by Amp, black D-shaped moulding with a rectangular
recess with 2 rows of edge wipe contacts like a Centronics
printer socket. 5.5 x 29 mm over D shape, 8 x 37 mm overall
7/32 x 1 5/32 inch over D shape, 5/16 x 1 7/16 inch overall
If I had the mating half, I could plug the modules into
my desktop...

Len Warner <[log in to unmask]> http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~len/ ICQ:10120933

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**