From:
Leigh Jennings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:47:14 +1100
  I need help on this.

I got no takers when I posted this before, Im hoping if I repost I might
just get some help on how to fix this problem. Primarily I need to rid my
system of the "extra" drive listing that has appeared.
The story is as follows:

I suspect my hard drive is on the way out, however I thought I'd put it to
this list to see if there are any other explanations for what happened today.

System:  AMD 2.4, Asus MOBO
Two removable HDD Drawers, +  dvd/cd player +  cd/r/rw.  both my physical
drives are  partitioned into three. C, D, E and H,I,J

I usually boot with two drives inserted, I boot to C Drive (win2k-20 gig
also with partitions D + E). Its generally pretty stable. the other
"H,I,J," drive also 20 gig has win98 as its operating system on "H" but i
hardly ever boot to it, it has lots of data and houses my email folders
etc. I never boot to win98 with another drive inserted as it stuffs up the
drive listings etc in win98. XP and 2k seem to be able to re-arrange drive
letters without too many problems but not win98.

After removing both physical hard drives and booting to a different
physical drive in the top drawer, I then replaced the original physical
Drives, it booted as normal into win2k on "C".

When I went to access my email, Eudora would not start, it's installed on C
but accesses J for folders etc. when i went to explorer (powerdesk
actually) I found that only the partitions of "C, D, E" were listed. "H"
was listed but was not accessable and showed no partitions, also under
properties it showed zero bytes of data.

I tried rebooting to no avail.
Norton disk doctor found a partition that it said DOS couldn't access and
asked if i wanted to make it accessible... well of course i bloody did, I
was pulling out what little hair is left by this stage lol.
Well i went through the process  3 times, once for each partition on the
drive, and it required 2 boots each time, finally I have the 3 partitions
back again and I can access them.

HOWEVER there is now an EXTRA  Drive/partition listed in powerdesk. it is
called "Local Disk" has no space on it, no label and says file system unknown!!

The Drive list now reads C, D, E then two cds on F and G. Then H(Local
Disk) and  I, J, K the three partitions I can access.

My feeling is that the partition data was lost somehow, how I dont
know.  Though I have just noticed that the middle (data) partition of both
"D" and "I" has only 350 meg of space free. Could it have filled the
partition up and crashed the partition table (or whatever its called)?

My main questions are:
    * is the hard drive turning to toast?
    * can I rid the drive of the extra " local disk" hard drive listed? Now
"H" thus restoring the drive list to its former state and allowing me to
boot to the win98 drive again
    * What the f... happened?

Also: No I didn't remove or insert any hard drive drawer with the power on.
         Although I had a power outage the other night which shut the
system down improperly, this doesn't often happen, and it did boot and
perform properly for hours before the problem arose later in the day after
switching drives out and back in.

any enlightenment would be gratefully accepted
Leigh
TIA

Leigh Jennings
Hound Heaven Web Design
WEB:             http://www.houndheaven.com.au
EMAIL:  [log in to unmask]

           The NOSPIN Group is now accepting donations to help
          defer the costs of providing PCBUILD and our website.
           Visit http://freepctech.com to donate using PAYPAL