From:
"Changhsu P. Liu" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 May 1999 11:55:39 -0400
To follow up on my post, I tried what my colleage suggested, but it didn't
work. I then formatted C:\ and installed a fresh system to it, and it
worked OK afterwards. What a pain that I have reinstall every driver and
software! The whole evening was lost.

Changhsu Liu

>I bought a IBM zx 9.1GB SCSI drive and formated it with PartionMagic 4. It
>went thru OK (create one 8.6GB partition), and then I reboot the machine.
>It went thru all the process (e.g., checking memory, video, checking SCSI,
>..., showing Windows logo screen..) but gave me a black screen with the
>message below before reaching desktop.
>
>While initializing device IOS:
>Windows protection error: You need to restart your computer
>
>I restarted with Safe Mode, it still gives the same message.
>I unplugged the SCSI HD, same message.
>I reinstalled Win98 on top of the old Win98, same message.
>I installed Win95 to another partition and it booted to Win95 Ok (I use
>System Commander to switch systems) but somehow I cannot make it to
>recognize my SCSI card.
>
>I suspect the system is corrupt maybe due to PartitionMagic. My colleage
>suggested me to delete all files in C:\Win98\System\IOSubsys and reinstall
>Windows 98. I will try that tonight. I'd like to hear your opinion so I
>have more options to try tonight.

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html