From:
Hal Trachtenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2001 02:45:45 -0500
> I'm building a Intel Pentium III and having trouble with no screen
> coming up so that I can get to CMOS.  I connect the hard drive and the
> hard drive acts as if gets no signal but once the the ribbon is removed
> the hard drive sound just fine and it works in one of the other computer
> that I'm wanting to replace.  What can be done to fine out if SDRAM or
> Intel Pentium III is in working order or is the motherboard bad? Using a
> NEC Multisync2A monitor.
>
> The specs are
> M748MR motherboard slot 1 with Intel Pentium III 500mz
> On Board Sound , AGP & Mouse
> Western Digital Ultra ATA 66 20 gig
> 2 3.3V Dimm SDRAM each chip 64 memory
>
> Star Damian

There can be many reasons for this. Check to make sure all the cables are
securely in place for all your installed drives. Even if one of the cables
is slightly loose from one of the devices, slightly enough to even avoid
detection, it can cause this type of problem. Make sure that the cables are
connected properly (red strip on cable is connected to Pin1).
On a more sour note, if you touched a part of the motherboard and weren't
properly grounded, you may have burnt the board. Since the drive works on
another computer then that isn't the problem. Also, be sure that the RAM is
seated securely and also if the RAM is compatible with the motherboard.
Something may have popped loose while you were playing around in there. It
has happened to me more than once. If nothing seems to work after you have
checked everything, you may want to bring it into a shop and check if the
motherboard is ok. It is possible that it is defective.