Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 10:38:58 -0800
Just as a side note, my computer came with Win98SE and I haven't had any
problem with hardware compatibility in the 5 years I've had it.   I've
added a new power supply, RAM, a CD burner, and a new printer.  I
haven't had any problems with software compatibility either, with the
exception of one or two minor issues.  That's not to say I don't think
it could happen, but it may not necessarily be such a big problem,
depending on the user. A few hundred bucks sounds like a lot to some of
us, so we don't want to throw out a workable system unnecessarily. There
are those who are satisfied with basics, so won't necessarily run into
too many hardware or software conflicts.  (For example, if all one is
doing is surfing, saving, writing emails, editing photos and word
processing.)  My system actually seems more stable right now, (knock on
wood), than it has been in the past.
Carol Hanson

> If his PC came with Win98, then his hardware may barely work with much
> recent software.
> In which case, a new PC running Win XP can be had for just a few
hundred
> bucks nowadays, and will provide far better performance and
reliability.

> Kevin

           The NOSPIN Group is now accepting donations to help
          defer the costs of providing PCBUILD and our website.
           Visit http://freepctech.com to donate using PAYPAL