From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 May 2003 23:05:30 -0400
Jun Qian wrote:
>It happens when you have two [IDE] devices on same cable...both
>mobile racks will flash the LED regardless which device is
>active, as long as there is activity going on the channel,
>LED flashes.
>
>I can't remember if SCSI racks have same problem or not

Every SCSI drive I've worked with has pins on the drive's
jumper block for connecting an LED. That LED will only
flash when that particular device is accessed. Good 3.5"
to 5.25" hard drive adapters (with fans on the face plate)
usually come with a short cable that connects the disk
activity pins on the SCSI hard drive to an LED that shows
on the adaptor's face plate.

The SCSI controllers (from Adaptec) that I use have pins
on the card itself for attaching an LED cable. The LED will
light when *any* device on the SCSI bus is accessed. Since
I don't use IDE devices, I like to attach the long LED cable
(that most cases use to indicate disk activity) to the
SCSI controller.

Regards,
Bill