From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 07:16:49 -0800
Hi Jo,

I just ran across a potential solution (albeit for a different adware
program, but others may be using this trick) in my local Sunday newspaper.

It says to bring up the registry editor (go to "Start -> Run", enter
"Regedit" and "OK"). First thing is to backup your registry in case
something goes wrong. Select the top line ("My Computer"), then "Registry
-> Export Registry File", make sure "All" is selected, and enter a filename.

Next, press "Ctrl-F" or "Edit -> Find" and enter the name of the file in
question ("conscorr.exe" for example), and click "Find Next". If you come
across an instance of the name that has a value associated with it, then
double click the entry and delete the content of the "Value data" and click
"OK". Repeat for each offending program. Now re-run the virus scanner, and
it should be able to find and delete the problem files.

Apparently this is a new trick, using a "semi-secret" registry key value
that make the files hidden on the disk.

At 02:55 AM 12/13/2004, you wrote:
>A regular, routine scan by Norton 2005 found these files on my
>computer:  conscorr.exe, MultiMpp.dll, and PreInMpp.exe.  Norton's message
>to me after trying to delete them was "Deletion failed."
>
>No other scan or search (AdAware, Spybot, Panda, Housecall, Windows
>XP--all up to date and run regularly) finds these files.  My search of the
>web was fruitless (but I'm a novice in this area).
>
>I am running Windows XP.
>
>Thanks for any help you can provide me.
>
>          PCBUILD maintains hundreds of useful files for download

Russ Poffenberger

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml