Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2008 20:01:08 -0500
Could be heat related.  Many motherboards have a setting in BIOS to shutdown
if the CPU reaches a preset temperature.  Same could be true of your power
supply.  For the power supply, dust buildup can cause heat to be retained.
I have a 5 year old 450W power supply that I recently took an air hose too.
The amount of dust that came out was amazing!  Did the same to the back of a
12 year old 20 inch Viewsonic monitor that was shutting off after just a
little use.  Removing the dust fixed the problem.  I'd blow the dust out of
your power supply just grins and giggles.

As for the cpu(I'm assuming you know whether your cpu fan is running or
not), if you have program, possibly one that came with your montherboard,
that will display the temperature, run it and observer the temp.  Make note
of it the next time your PC shuts off.  If it was close to what your BIOS is
set for, then you know the problem is heat.  I've removed the heatsink on my
old AMD xp2000 twice in the last 5 years, cleaned the top of the cpu, put on
some new thermal paste, and reseated the heatsink.  Both times this lowered
my cpu temps by more the 6 degrees C.

Even if neither of these two things are what you're experiencing, you could
still benefit from doing both.